Questions for the Author

Do you have a question for the author, Justin Reich? Post it here and Justin will respond.

Have you researched the effects of new learning technologies on the community of home schoolers?

I have not. I looked into the research on homeschooling in March as schools shutdown to try to get more insight on homebased remote learning, but I didn’t find much. I think the research base on learning practices among homeschoolers is thin.

My colleague Mitchell Stevens is coming on the TeachLab podcast soon, and he wrote a book about homeschoolers: Kingdom of Children. Maybe he can shed some light on the topic for us.

Hi Justin (if I may be so bold)
I discovered your book club today (Sept 25) in Barbara Oakley’s Learning How to Learn Cheery Friday email. I can only read the introduction on Amazon until the ebook I preordered is available on 9/29.
Are the Zoom sessions recorded and available? I would like to see what my friend Chris Gilliard had to say in the first session. I’m excited to see so many thought leaders participating and look forward to many scintillating discussions.
Best Regards
Mark

I haven’t got my copy of the book yet but I read through all the posts here so far and I read the framing of the book available as a preview on Google Books. I also came across your Twitter thread about the research study on how to motivate students to finish a MOOC. The results were disappointing for the promise of scaling education. What kind of systems/structures do you expect education to take in the near future given these findings? A lot of human teachers don’t have the right mindsets of even growth, respect for students and the importance of competencies over content. What frameworks are you using to think about achieving quality education for all?

Sorry for the delay… I didn’t have this set to track by email. Hopefully you’ve gotten emails since about the previous recordings, but if not, here they are:

Sept 28- Chapter 1: Instructor-Guided Learning at Scale and MOOCs, with Liz Losh and George Siemens
Sept 21- Prologue and Introduction, with Chris Gilliard and Audrey Watters

1 Like

It’s perhaps an unsatisfying answer, but we need to substantially increase funding for schools and the welfare of all children, and then support school faculties, in the 130,000 US schools (and the millions more around the world) in processes of continuous improvement like we describe in Launching Innovation in Schools.

I wish there were shorter pathways, but alas…

Justin

Greetings!

Having read about the three major scenarios of learning-at-scale, I am wondering, do you see some subject preferences for a particular style of learning-at-scale? For example, in the second chapter you mentioned maily mathematics, whereas in the chapter on peer-reviewed learning it seems that programing is the ideal subject of study through peer-reviewed process.

Thank you for the book club, for me it is a unprecedented experience to discuss a book with its author.

Best regards

Jiri

Thanks Jiri.

I do think that a key feature of learning technology is it’s uneveness-- we have good adaptive tutors in math, but not in social studies; our technologies work well in some subjects, but not others, for some learners but not others.

But I wouldn’t take the chapters as a comprehensive review of all research in all subject areas. There are some algorithm guided computer programming tools that are good, and peer-learning can be great for learning writing (fan fiction), crafts (Rainbow Loom), make-up tutorials, lots of things…

I also think observed congruence isn’t necessarily indiciative of theoretical congruence. Maybe there could be really cool adaptive tutors in social studies if we designed them. I think autograding would be a real problem for the goals of social studies… We can describe what exists, but other things could exist :slight_smile:

Hello! Where can I find the links to the other recordings? Thanks!

For now, when you sign up, you’ll get a weekly email, but I’ll make a post too. Here they are:

Oct. 19- Chapter 4: Learning Games and Testing the Genres of Learning at Scale, with Constance Steinkeuhler and Scot Osterweil
Oct. 12- Chapter 3: Peer-Guided Learning at Scale and Networked Learning Community, with Mitchel Resnick and Natalie Rusk
Oct. 5- Chapter 2: Algorithm-Guided Learning at Scale and Adaptive Tutors, with Cristina and Neil Heffernan
Sept 28- Chapter 1: Instructor-Guided Learning at Scale and MOOCs, with Liz Losh and George Siemens
Sept 21- Prologue and Introduction, with Chris Gilliard and Audrey Watters